Scope of Electrical Engineering in Pakistan: Jobs, Admission, Future
Electrical engineering is one of the largest and broadest engineering discipline that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. This is a detailed article about Electrical Engineering, it's scope, jobs market, admission eligibility criteria and much more.
Career in Electrical Engineering
Electrical engineering is one of the largest and broadest engineering discipline that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.
Electrical engineering has now subdivided into a wide range of subfields. The two major branches include electronics and Power Engineering. Electronics engineering is further sub-diveded into many other fields including electronics, computer engineering, power engineering, telecommunications, control systems, and microelectronics. Many of these sub disciplines overlap with other engineering branches, spanning a huge number of specializations such as hardware engineering, power electronics, avionics, mechatronics and nanotechnology
What do Electrical Engineers do?
- Design and develop system for generation and transmission of electricity
- Design and develop more efficient electrical machinery
- Design and develop automated machinery i.e. computer hardware, traffic signals, tablet or smartphone you purchased recently are all masterpiece of electrical engineering design.
- Robots are comprised of sensors, actuators, microprocessors and sophisticated feedback control systems,
- Space projects - deep space communications, robust control systems, extra terrestrial GPS for navigation and positioning, power generation and storage networks, imaging systems
- Sophisticated medical technology that you encounter in a modern hospital including CT, MRI and PET imaging machines, ECG and blood pressure monitors, all based off electrical engineering principles.
- Electrical Power generation and transmission companies
- Electronics industry
- Aerospace industry
- Automotive industry
- Computer Manufacturing Industry
- Telecom Companies
- Construction industry
- Defence industry
- Fast-moving consumer goods industry
- Marine industry
- Materials and metals industry
Scope of Electrical Engineering in Pakistan
Scope and demand of Electrical engineers is very high in Pakistan. There are more job opportunities for electrical engineers in Pakistan than any other field of engineering. Pakistan is still facing energy crises, for need for more power houses, renewable energy sources is being felt which will definitely result in more demand of electrical engineers.
Average Salary of an electrical engineer in Pakistan with a bachelor degree and minimum 5-7 years experience is PKR: 90,000/-. Starting Salary of electrical engineers is PKR: 30,000 to 50,000 per month.
Admission criteria for Electrical Engineering in Pakistan
- Minimum 60% Marks in FSc Pre-Engineering
- Passing Entry Test
- Merit ranges from 78% to 84% in Government Universities
- DAE Or B.Tech degree holders can also apply
- Merit in High ranked institutes in normally close to 80%
- Merit in Private universities is as low as 65%
Top Electrical Engineering Universities in Pakistan
NUST, PIEAS, UET Lahore, NED UET Karachi are the best options. For list of all universities offering Electrical Engineering, please stay tuned, we will upload a separate post.
Related Fields of Electrical Engineering
As already mention, Electrical Engineering is the broadest of all engineering fields. It has many sub-fields or branches and many universities in Pakistan are offering BSc engg degree in the branches of Electrical Engineering. These fields are also offered as a specialization in Electrical Engineering degree program. So due to high merit of if you cannot get admission in Electrical engineering, then you may also consider the Following is the list of related programs
- Communication System
- Computer Engineering
- Control System
- Electrical Power
- Electronics & Telecom
- Energy Systems Engineering
- Industrial Electronics
- Power Engineering
How to Become an Electrical Engineer
There are four types of degrees that lead to Electrical engineering
- BSc Engg in Electrical Engineering
- BSc Engg in Computer, Telecom, Electronics, Power Engineering
- B.Tech in Electrical Technology or related fields
- DAE in Electrical Technology or related fields